Gerund / Inifinitive exercise

on Nov 20, 2015
Gerund / Inifinitive exercise

I am often asked to explain the use of verbs with 'ing' and infinifs. The word "gerund" in English is not exactly the same as "gerund" in French. The gerund is rather a name and not a verb. It is used when one wants to talk about an action. Some verbs are systematically monitored by a "gerund", others by a infinif.

here is an exercise to master the lesson Gerund / Inifinitive


Put the verb into the Gerund or Infinitive:

A- Example: hate doing the shopping on Saturday(do)
B- Example: In the end we decided to stay in. (stay)

1- I can't stand…….. in queues. (wait)
2- Mrs Leith offered…….us to the airport. (take)
3- Blast! I forgot …….. milk . ( buy)
4- Jim loves……… in London. (work)
5- Clare refused………. clean up after the party. (help)
6- Do you mind not………. ? (smoke)
7- I wanted………… and see Troy but no one else was interested. (go)
8- Everybody really enjoyed………… the cha-cha-cha. (dance)
9- Lionel admitted…….. my chocolate mousse. (eat)
10- Tony gave up……..years ago. ( smoke)
11- He deserves………. severely punished. (be)
12- In the end I gave up……..to persuade her. (try)
13- I always try to avoid……. him whenever I can. (see)
14- I long……… in Scotland again. (be)
15- My Mum demanded………. the manager. (see)
16- My brother denied……my chocolate mousse. Maybe his hamster ate it. (eat)
17- I tried……….but I just couldn't. (understand)
18- I never risk ………….though that part of town. (go)
19- I always put off……… my homework until the last possible moment. (do)
20- Charlie was……….to be a chicken. (pretend)
21- We like Galicia so much that we keep………back there. (go)
22- When we visit my aunt, they expect me……..on my best behaviour. (be)
23- Dad threatened….. my pocket money if I didn't do my homework. (stop)
24- I didn't mean……. her feelings. I'm really sorry. (hurt)
25- He goes on………..me the same thing over and over again. (tell)
26- I can't stand……….in the queue at the baker's. (wait)
27- We arranged……… under the station clock at half nine. (meet)
28- Clare offered……… me to the airport, which was very kind of her. (take)
29-The firemen managed………out the fire pretty quickly. (put)
30- They chose………….in a cheap hotel but spend more money on
good meals. (stay)
31- I miss.............with my former colleagues. (work)
32- You don't need......him every time you want to go out. (ask)


answer

1- I can't stand to wait in queues. (wait)
2- Mrs Leith offered to take us to the airport. (take)
3- Blast! I forgot to buy milk . ( buy)
4- Jim loves working in London. (work)
5- Clare refused to help clean up after the party. (help)
6- Do you mind not smoking? (smoke)
7- I wanted to go and see Troy but no one else was interested. (go)
8- Everybody really enjoyed dancing the cha-cha-cha. (dance)
9- Lionel admitted eating my chocolate mousse. (eat)
10- Tony gave up smoking years ago. ( smoke)
11- He deserves to be severely punished. (be)
12- In the end I gave up trying to persuade her. (try)
13- I always try to avoid seeing him whenever I can. (see)
14- I long to be in Scotland again. (be)
15- My Mum demanded to see the manager. (see)
16- My brother denied having eaten ( or to eat ) my chocolate mousse. Maybe his hamster ate it. (eat)
17- I tried to understand but I just couldn't. (understand)
18- I never risk going though that part of town. (go)
19- I always put off doing my homework until the last possible moment. (do)
20- Charlie was pretending to be a chicken. (pretend)
21- We like Galicia so much that we keep going back there. (go)
22- When we visit my aunt, they expect me to be on my best behaviour. (be)
23- Dad threatened to stop my pocket money if I didn't do my homework. (stop)
24- I didn't mean to hurt her feelings. I'm really sorry. (hurt)
25- He goes on telling me the same thing over and over again. (tell)
26- I can't stand to wait in the queue at the baker's. (wait)
27- We arranged to meet under the station clock at half nine. (meet)
28- Clare offered to take me to the airport, which was very kind of her. (take)
29-The firemen managed putting out the fire pretty quickly. (put)
30- They chose to stay in aCHEAP HOTEL but spend more money on
good meals. (stay)
31- I miss working with my former colleagues. (work)
32- You don't need asking him every time you want to go out. (ask)

0 comments:

Post a Comment